MINUTES of a meeting of the HIGHWAYS SUB-COMMITTEE held at 7.30pm on Wednesday 26th April 2023 in The Mountfitchet Exchange, Crafton Green, 72 Chapel Hill, Stansted Mountfitchet, Essex
PRESENT Cllr G Sell (Chair), Cllrs M Caton, M Jessup, P Jones, A Khan, J O’Brien, L Prior and F Richards
Mrs Ruth Clifford – Parish Clerk
Mrs Emma Philbrick – Deputy Clerk
County Cllr Ray Gooding
1 member of the press – via Zoom
1 member of the public – via Zoom
460 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Apologies for absence were received from Ray Woodcock as he is unwell.
461 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST – None
462 TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 1ST FEBRUARY 2023
Ray Woodcock had emailed over a few amendments which needed to be made. The word visibility had been used twice instead of viability and the word agenda had been used instead of agency. The Clerk advised that these had been amended.
RESOLVED To approve the minutes of the meeting held on 1st February 2023 as a true and accurate account.
The Clerk mentioned that she had received an email from another member of the sub-committee regarding the minutes, but these were to do with the style of the minutes and did not affect the accuracy, so no action needed.
463 TO RECEIVE AN UPDATE ON ACTION POINTS FROM THE LAST MEETING
See Clerk’s report attached
348 – Due to purdah, this will be on the agenda and discussed at the next meeting.
464 TO RECEIVE AN UPDATE FROM THE OFFICE ON ALL HIGHWAYS PROJECTS FOR STANSTED
See Clerk’s report attached
Cllr Sell asked Cty Cllr Gooding to give an update on potholes. Cty Cllr Gooding advised that a scheme had been raised, he was awaiting a date for the Grove Hill potholes but all others were scheduled. The delay has partly been down to the wet weather conditions which has prevented permanent repairs.
Cllr Jones asked for clarification on whether the alternative route to Grove Hill which had been in validation for a long time, would be completed by the end of the 4th quarter or if there were issues/delays. Cty Cllr Gooding said he had seen a draft and it was more complex than imagined. There is a lot of work that is going into a series of proposals but that they would have to wait until it was published after the elections.
Cllr Caton commented that the Town Twinning signs are small change and asked if the Clerk could write to the Chair of the Local Highways Panel as it does not look good to our counterparts that their signs are all up but we are still having to chase for an answer on ours.
Cllr Richards asked about the schemes for double yellow lines on the Hargrave Estate and Spencer Close. The Clerk advised that the North Essex Parking Partnership (NEPP) had lost these so they would be submitted again.
465 TO CONSIDER RESPONSES TO THE CONSULTATION ON WAITING RESTRICTIONS ON BENTFIELD ROAD
The results from the consultation are on the Clerk’s report attached
After discussions it was unanimously agreed that regardless of the decision on the next agenda item regarding further parking restrictions, that the Council should apply to the NEPP for parking restrictions on Bentfield Road on highway safety grounds.
466 TO CONSIDER CONSULTING WITH RESIDENTS IN BENTFIELD GARDENS AND CANNONS MEAD WITH REGARDS TO FURTHER PARKING RESTRICTIONS
Discussions took place between members and it was agreed that parking was an issue for the whole of Stansted. It was agreed that the office make contact with neighbouring parishes and also of parishes based around Gatwick, Heathrow and Manchester airports to find out if residents pay for the parking schemes in those areas or whether they are funded by the airport. If funded by the airport, then a meeting should be set up with MAG to discuss this option and also to speak to the NEPP to find out if a scheme paid for by MAG was viable.
467 TO CONSIDER APPLYING FOR A 20MPH SPEED LIMIT ON THE B1383 AND BENTFIELD AREA
Members discussed whether they felt this was the best course of action to take on the B1383. It was agreed that some areas of the road were worse than others and comments were made that to slow traffic down on the whole stretch would cause more traffic issues on an already busy route. It was unanimously agreed that the office would explore the option and costs of visual signs.
With regards to the Bentfield area, it was unanimously agreed that a consultation would be carried out by letter drop to all residents in the Bentfield area to see if a 20mph scheme would be supported.
Meeting closed at 8.20pm
463 Put on the agenda for the next meeting
464 Hargrave and Spencer Close schemes to be re-submitted by the office
464 Clerk to write to the Chair of the LHP regarding the Town Twinning signs
465 Office to apply for parking restrictions on Bentfield Road
466 Office to contact neighbouring parishes and those close to Gatwick and Heathrow airports
467 Arrange a letter drop to residents of Bentfield Area
467 Office to explore visual signs